Kidney-friendly Christmas Day candied yams will have you enjoying your favorite holiday side dish worry-free. With just a few simple ingredients, you can recreate this classic dish in a way that is safe for your kidneys. So go ahead and indulge in some sweet yam goodness this Christmas!. This kidney-friendly version is just as delicious as the original, but it’s lower in phosphorus, potassium and sodium. Now, let’s get cooking!
Appropriate for: Diabetes, Dialysis, Gluten-Free, Kidney Disease, CKD
Kidney-Friendly Christmas Day Candied Yams Ingredients
- 6 sweet potatoes (cleaned, peeled)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
How to Prepare Kidney-Friendly Christmas Day Candied Yams
- Cut sweet potatoes into thick strips (think steak fries)
- Place sweet potatoes in a medium pot on the stove with ½ cup water
- Cover pot and steam potatoes for 15 minutes over medium-low heat
- Add remaining ingredients and stir
- Continue cooking on low heat with lid for an additional 15 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Remove from heat, stir and serve
Kidney-Friendly Christmas Day Candied Yams Nutrition Facts
(makes 12 1/2 cup servings)
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|
We love sharing our kidney-healthy recipes with you like this Kidney-Friendly Christmas Day Candied Yams recipe! We try to share a new recipe every week. So, if you’re craving a favorite food, but it’s not on your kidney diet, please let us know. We’ll look into it and try to add a kidney-friendly version to our list of upcoming recipe blogs. For more kidney-healthy recipes, visit our blog.
About Shree Mulay, MD
Shree Mulay, MD, is a nephrologist and co-owner of The Kidney Experts. He went to medical school at Mahatma Gandhi Mission Medical College and completed his residency at Kingsbrook Jewish Medical Center in Brooklyn, NY. Shree manages patients at several West Tennessee Healthcare Hospital locations and serves at numerous dialysis locations across the region. He also sees patients at four kidney care clinic locations. Funny, caring and always wanting to help, Shree is passionate about his practice and devotes much of his time to his patients.
Kidney-Friendly Recipes from The Kidney Experts
One of the goals we have at The Kidney Experts is to make sure you have the resources you need to help you on your kidney health journey. Questions we are asked all the time include, “What can I eat with kidney disease,” “What foods should I avoid with kidney disease,” and “Where can I find good kidney disease diet recipes?” These are excellent questions. Challenge accepted!
Truth time! Chefs, we are not… so we consistently scour websites known for their kidney-healthy recipes. Our focus is to find kidney-friendly recipes that are healthy, easy to make, satisfying, and that have that mouthwatering taste factor. Each week, we post a new recipe that we can share with you.
Here is a list of our most recent kidney-friendly recipes:
- Chocolate Peanut Energy Bars
- 30-Minute Dinner: Citrus Salmon with Garlic and Cayenne
- Labor Day Picnic Macaroni and Cheese
- Beef and Veggie Bolognese Over Rice Noodles
- Molten Mint Chocolate Brownies
- 50-Minute Dinner: Za’atar Chicken with Garlic Pepper Yogurt Sauce
- Tropical Salad with Pineapple and Jalapeño
- Herb Roasted Chicken Breast
- Crunchy Quinoa Salad
- 60-Minute Chicken Brunswick Stew
- Kidney-friendly Pound Cake with Blueberry and Lemon
- 1-Minute Breakfast: Quick and Easy Omelet
- Healthy Tuna Pasta Salad with Lemon and Thyme
- Beet Vegetarian Reuben Sandwich
- Kidney-Friendly Apple Fritter Donuts
- Crunchy Asian Coleslaw
- Grilled Sesame Chicken
- Kidney-Healthy Mushroom Soup
- Easy Turkey Breakfast Burritos
- Southern-style Cornbread
- 60-second Salsa
For more kidney-friendly recipes, pop over to The Kidney Experts Twitter account as we love to retweet recipes from some of the best names in kidney health.