Spicy apple pork chops are a quick and easy dish that both adults and kids will love. The sweetness of the apples pairs perfectly with the savory pork, and the little bit of spice from the ginger and cumin is just enough to give it a kick. This is a perfect meal for a busy weeknight. Plus, cleanup is a breeze since you only need one pan! Give these apple pork chops a try tonight. You won’t be disappointed. Now, let’s get cooking!
Appropriate for: Diabetes, Dialysis, Gluten-Free, Kidney Disease, CKD
Spicy Apple Pork Chops Ingredients
- 2 Garlic cloves, pared, minced
- 3/4 tsp. Salt
- 1.2 tsp. Ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. Sugar
- 1/4 tsp. Pepper
- 1/4 tsp. Ground cumin
- 6 large pork chops
- 2 Medium Rome Beauty apples, unpared, cored, cut into 1-in slices
- 1 Large red onion, pared, cut into 3/4-in slices
How to Prepare Spicy Apple Pork Chops
- Combine first six ingredients
- Rub seasoning mixture into both sides of each pork chop
- Place in large glass pan
- Insert slices of apples and onions between chops
- Crumple aluminum foil and place at each end of pan to press ingredients together
- Cover with foil; bake at 400F for 20 minutes
- Reduce heat to 325F; bake for 30 to 35 minutes
- Remove crumpled foil to separate chops; bake for about 15 minutes until light brown
- Serve over rice
Spicy Apple Pork Chops Nutrition Facts
(Serving size: 1 pork chop)
We love sharing our kidney-healthy recipes with you like this Spicy Apple Pork Chops recipe! We try to share a new recipe every week. So, if you’re craving a favorite food, but it’s not on your kidney diet, please let us know. We’ll look into it and try to add a kidney-friendly version to our list of upcoming recipe blogs. For more kidney-healthy recipes, visit our blog.
About Shree Mulay, MD
Shree Mulay, MD, is a nephrologist and co-owner of The Kidney Experts. He went to medical school at Mahatma Gandhi Mission Medical College and completed his residency at Kingsbrook Jewish Medical Center in Brooklyn, NY. Shree manages patients at several West Tennessee Healthcare Hospital locations and serves at numerous dialysis locations across the region. He also sees patients at four kidney care clinic locations. Funny, caring and always wanting to help, Shree is passionate about his practice and devotes much of his time to his patients.
Kidney-Friendly Recipes from The Kidney Experts
One of the goals we have at The Kidney Experts is to make sure you have the resources you need to help you on your kidney health journey. Questions we are asked all the time include, “What can I eat with kidney disease,” “What foods should I avoid with kidney disease,” and “Where can I find good kidney disease diet recipes?” These are excellent questions. Challenge accepted!
Truth time! Chefs, we are not… so we consistently scour websites known for their kidney-healthy recipes. Our focus is to find kidney-friendly recipes that are healthy, easy to make, satisfying, and that have that mouthwatering taste factor. Each week, we post a new recipe that we can share with you.
Here is a list of our most recent kidney-friendly recipes:
- 30-Minute Dinner: Citrus Salmon with Garlic and Cayenne
- Labor Day Picnic Macaroni and Cheese
- Beef and Veggie Bolognese Over Rice Noodles
- Molten Mint Chocolate Brownies
For more kidney-friendly recipes, pop over to The Kidney Experts Twitter account as we love to retweet recipes from some of the best names in kidney health.